Position: Director of Communications & Resource Development
For more than 30 years, RUPCO, a 501-c-3 not-for-profit agency, has led the region in creating and maintaining quality, sustainable housing and rental opportunities, inspiring understanding and acceptance of affordable housing initiatives, fostering community development and revitalization, and providing opportunity to people to improve their living standards. In that time RUPCO has established a successful track record as a leader in the creation and improvement of quality, sustainable housing, created strong partnerships locally and nationally, and has maintained a fiscally healthy balance sheet, allowing for flexibility and agility in providing services.
RUPCO is seeking an accomplished Communications Professional with at least 10 years of experience, ideally in a leadership role in a complex organization, non-profit or for-profit, covering areas of media relations, corporate communications including website content, social media, newsletters and communications with funders and donors. Experience with special events management and/or donor software management shall be considered a plus. The ability to lead an organization interested in transforming knowledge into exciting and useful messages and disseminating these messages to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical. Experience & insight into best practices in how to democratically distribute the brand across a large agency of employees and volunteers is highly desirable.
The Director of Communications & Resource Development is a key member of the Senior Management Team at RUPCO and shall report to the Chief Executive Officer. In addition to communications, the position shall also carry out responsibilities to raise awareness and funding for the agency and its mission through individual giving, special events, sponsorship and grant writing.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Strong social media skills & experience in managing brand; advocacy or advertising campaigns
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications or similar field required
RUPCO, originally named the Rural Ulster Preservation Company, was formed in 1981. While the organization has grown and evolved, it has stayed true to its original mission – to lead the creation of better communities for all through its work.
- Everyone deserves quality, healthy and sustainable housing at an affordable price
- Communities thrive when there is diversity in their economic make-up and housing stock
- Housing is a critical component of effective economic development and open space policy
- There is a proven connection between creation of stable housing and the positive impact on jobs, education, health, the economy, public safety, and other important facets of American life.
To create homes, support people and improve communities.
Our vision is for strong, vibrant and communities with opportunity and a home for everyone.
RUPCO welcomes & encourages diversity in its workforce & ALL individuals are encouraged to apply. RUPCO is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit cover letter including salary history and resume to:
Kevin O'Connor, CEO
289 Fair Street
Kingston NY 12401